Friday, April 29, 2022

Caroline

Caroline Carlile isn’t your ordinary teen-ager.  She lives quite near the Washington Wilderness but education isn’t a problem.  Her mother Lia is a credentialed home school teacher. That lifestyle isn’t unusual, as many kids are home schooled,  however not as many have to keep a wary eye out for a coyote, cougar or black bear. Yes. That kind of wilderness. The whole meal deal.
     The thing that really makes Caroline so special is her music. She  plays multiple instruments…..the guitar, banjo, bass and piano for music theory. Aside from a few starter lessons in guitar, she learned the rest on her own.
    Talk about ambition, Caroline is anxious to start her performing career. She likes John Prine, Dolly Parton, Alison Russell, Carol King, and Elton John. 
    I asked her what her future plans were. She said,”I am looking for a career in music. I want to be a performing artists, producer, and music educator. “
    Caroline doesn’t lack for advice, mostly from her musical family.  It doesn’t hurt that her Aunt Brandi is a Grammy Award winner. Just in the past few months, her aunt played to a standing ovation at the 22nd Grammy show. On more than a few occasions, Brandi takes Caroline along. Caroline brings her band. Her brother plays violin, another friend plays guitar and her dad plays multiple instruments as well. I haven’t been keeping good track but Caroline and friends called SmallTown Strings, have been seen on a large state or two.  Never-mind that her Aunt opens the show but by the end the whole audience is singing and jumping along with Brandis band and extras wandering around the stage. It’s an event to behold.
     I asked Caroline what comes next. She said,” Well, we have a couple of shows over on the west side and a few more locally. Including the next open mic. 
Republic Brewery May 19th.
….
So while your planning you summers vacation….leave some time to find a SmallTown Strings concert. One could pop up anywhere. If I find a concert close to you, I’ll make sure you know.

    Meanwhile Caroline, friends and family are getting ready for the August Kettle River Music Festival.
That’s in August so just to keep busy, she is teaching a class once a week on the first steps of digital recording. It is going really well! Like my mom, I love teaching.
     As I wound up my questions, I asked if she was ever afraid of the big crowds…..to which she concluded, “I have always been very at home in front of a crowd. And I am a social butterfly, and I LOVE being with the fans. I don’t really get stage fright either. “ To which I add….go for it Caroline! I’m keeping my own feet into the musical waters.  
Thanks to Caroline 🎶 for her answers which rolled right out and
Thanks to Caroline’s Family for doing such a great job ….
And finally, thanks to Brandi Carlile, whose gentle guiding along the path, gives SmallTown Strings a big head start.
Bob Shannon - Editor, Pacific NW News, photographer for well over 50 years in print photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment